CNE Application (Individual Educational Activity) Approval Process
Welcome to the CNE Application for Individual Educational Activity.
The ENA Approver Unit reviews and approves nursing continuing professional development activities. Through a peer review process, ENA evaluates the quality and appropriateness of education activities that are of benefit to emergency nurses.
ANCC criteria require that organizations plan, implement and evaluate quality nursing continuing professional development activities with integrity, free from the undue influence of commercial interest organizations, ensuring integrity and independence.
The Emergency Nurses Association is accredited as an approver of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
The application form has been updated to provide clarity and reflect the new Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education. One of the biggest changes affects the disclosure of relevant financial
relationship processes. There are now two versions of the application form.
- Non-clinical Content
- Disclosure information is not required for non-clinical topics (e.g., leadership or communication skills training).
- Clinical Content
- Collect information from all planners, faculty, and others who would be in positions to control content. They must disclose financial relationships with ineligible companies* over the previous 24 months.
- *An ineligible company is an entity whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
- After January 1, 2022, all applicants must use one of the new forms. Any application submitted using the old form will be returned and the application will be considered incomplete.
- Applications should be submitted at least 60 days prior to activity start date. If submitted less than 60 days, the applicant will be assessed the higher late fee.
- Applications submitted with less than 2 weeks prior to the activity date may not be approved in time.
- Applications are screened for completeness upon receipt. If the application is incomplete or contains errors, applicants will be notified about the deficiencies that must be correct before the application can be forwarded to the review committee.
- Common reasons for incomplete applications:
- Submitted in another format other than Word
- Missing or incomplete disclosure forms
- Improper problem in practice statement
- Measurable outcomes written as objectives
- Not providing proper evidence of disclosure to learners
- Applications must be submitted using Microsoft Word. No PDF documents will be accepted.
- The finance department will send an invoice upon receipt of the application. The invoice will need to be paid prior to the activity start date.
- The fee covers the cost of the review process. It is not based on approval/denial of an application.
- If an activity is postponed, the fee will be applied to the new activity date.
- The application fee is non-refundable.
Submitting your application
- Applications must be submitted via email to CNE@ena.org
Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Application Forms
View Fee Schedule
Please contact the ENA Approver Unit with questions and/or comments regarding the CNE application process at: CNE@ena.org or 847.460.2625