DES PLAINES, Ill., (May 26, 2016) –The Emergency Nurses Association (ENA) today announced the recipients of the association’s annual achievement awards. The awards recognize emergency nurses and exemplary supporters of the profession who demonstrate exceptional professional practice, innovation, leadership and advocacy.
Healthcare professionals nominate colleagues who are extraordinary practitioners and continually go above and beyond the call of duty in emergency nursing. Each award has specific requirements and criteria, and the ENA Awards Committee reviews each blinded submission.
"ENA members are doing incredible work standing at the front lines of emergency care. We’re proud to recognize our colleagues who are making a positive impact in the emergency department,” said ENA president Kathleen E. Carlson MSN, RN, CEN, FAEN. “These recipients are truly deserving, so it will be an honor to recognize them at our Annual Awards Gala.”
Of the 14 awards, the Judith C. Kelleher Award, named after ENA’s co-founder, is ENA’s most prestigious achievement award. It honors an ENA member who has consistently demonstrated excellence in emergency nursing and has made significant contributions to the profession and to ENA. The 2016 Judith C. Kelleher Award recipient is Martha Saroop, BSN, RN, CEN, of Owings Mills, Maryland.
The President’s Award is given to individuals that have had a substantial impact on the ENA President’s career through inspiration, mentorship, teaching or support. The 2016 President’s Award recipients are E. Marie Wilson, MPA, RN (Westbrook, Connecticut) and Gary Carlson (Hampton, Virginia).
The additional 2016 Annual Achievement Award recipients are:
- Barbara A. Foley Quality, Safety and Injury Prevention Award: Emilie Crown, RN (Rockville, Maryland)
- Behind the Scenes Award: Cindy Pirrung, BSN, RN, CEN (Sioux Falls, South Dakota)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Award: Garrett Chan, PhD, RN, CNS, CEN, FAEN (Los Altos Hills, California)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: AnnMarie Papa, DNP, RN, CEN, NE-BC, FAAN, FAEN (Glenside, Pennsylvania)
- Media Award: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Nurse Manager Award: Amy Oommen, MBA, BSN, RN (Allen, Texas)
- Nursing Education Award: Lisa Schwing, RN (Dayton, Ohio)
- Nursing Practice and Professionalism Award: Ann Yankay, BSN, RN, CEN (Syracuse, New York)
- Rising Star Award: Alex Sproul, RN (Harrisburg, South Dakota)
- State Council Government Affairs Award: California ENA State Council
- Team Award: LifePoint Health ED Council (Brentwood, Tennessee)
Award recipients will be recognized at ENA’s Awards Gala on Saturday, September 17, 2016 in Los Angeles during Emergency Nursing 2016
, the premier emergency nursing conference.