Hello State Council Presidents,
One of my areas of focus this year as President is communication. Hopefully, most of you have had an opportunity to read my blog. In addition to blog, my intent is to send a brief monthly summary of the activities that I have been involved in during the month. Below are the highlights:
· The first board meeting of the year and the Advocacy Intensive was held January 10 - 12 in Des Plaines, IL. There were 98 state leaders or State Government Affairs Chairs in attendance. We received many positive comments related to this education.
· National committee orientation teleconferences were held January 15 & 16.
· I spoke with two reporters regarding emergency nurses response to the flu outbreak and care of baby boomers in the emergency department.
· We released a press statement related to the President's comprehensive plan on gun violence.
· I attended the BCEN Board meeting January 19 - 21 in Orlando, FL.
· Some of you may have heard about a TNCC knockoff course that some of our members have inquired about. The Office has finally located an email address that is tied to the company that is teaching the course. The company has received a cease and desist letter from ENA.
· The first state President’s call was held January 29.
· The majority of the Board attended Judy Kelleher's funeral in Livermore, CA on February 1.
· The Executive Committee met by phone on three occasions and considered the following:
o AAP's request for review and comment of the revision of existing policy statement "Pediatric Care Recommendations for Freestanding Urgent Care Facilities." - We sent requests to the Pediatric and Operations Committees and the Academy Chair for their comments. This information has been sent to AAP.
o ANA's call for applicants for its Care Coordination Quality Measures professional issues panel to be convened starting in March 2013 - this panel will be looking at transitions in care. The applicant has to be an ANA member and be well versed in this area. We have sent the name of one of our members for consideration.
o CCNE was seeking nominations for candidates to run for election to the CCNE Board of Commissioners and Nominating Committee, and is additionally seeking nominations for candidates to serve as members of its Nominating Committee. We voted not to recommend anyone.
o We received an invitation from US Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), US Department of Homeland Security Office of Health Affairs, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Assistant Secretary For Preparedness & Response to attend a trauma system discussion taking place on February 11th. The purpose of the discussion is for trauma system experts to share their insight regarding opportunities to improve the U.S. trauma system. We will be sending a representative to this meeting.
o The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force posted for public comment its draft research plan on interventions to reduce the nonmedical use of drugs in children and adolescents. Lisa Wolf, ENA Research Director reviewed this document and we will be sharing these comments with the Task Force.
o ENA has endorsed the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials' (ASTHO) document on “Coping with and Mitigating the Effects of Shortages of Emergency Medications.”
· Board travel for February includes:
o All Board members: State and Chapter Leaders Conference and Leadership Conference in Ft Lauderdale, FL.
o Deena Brecher: ACEP Clinical Practice Committee in Dallas, TX Feb 6-7.
o Sue Hohenhaus: US Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), US Department of Homeland Security Office of Health Affairs, US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Assistant Secretary For Preparedness & Response are convening a trauma system discussion in Washington, DC, February 11.
· I have no travel for ENA this month with the exception of Ft Lauderdale. However, for work I will be in Santa Rosa, CA for the 3 weeks prior to Ft Lauderdale.
I look forward to seeing all of you in a few weeks in Ft. Lauderdale.
2013 ENA Board of Directors
ENA Past Presidents