RN and DR Title Protection Law
NJ Revised Statutes § 45:11-26
It shall be unlawful for any person to represent in any way that such person is a registered nurse or to use after his or her name the abbreviation "R.N." unless such person holds an effective, unsuspended license as a professional nurse. Every person violating this provision shall be subject to a penalty of $200.00 for each violation, and if after conviction as hereinafter provided such person shall again violate any provision of this act, such person shall be subject to a penalty of $500.00 for each subsequent offense.
Workplace Violence Laws
NJ Revised Statutes § 2C:12-1
A person is guilty of assault if he:
(1) Attempts to cause or purposely, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another; or
(2) Negligently causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon; or
(3) Attempts by physical menace to put another in fear of imminent serious bodily injury. Simple assault is a disorderly persons offense unless committed in a fight or scuffle entered into by mutual consent, in which case it is a petty disorderly persons offense.
A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he:
(1) Attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another, or causes such injury purposely or knowingly or under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life recklessly causes such injury; or
(2) Attempts to cause or purposely or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon; or
(3) Recklessly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon; or
(4) Knowingly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life points a firearm, as defined in section 2C:39-1f., at or in the direction of another, whether or not the actor believes it to be loaded; or
(5) Commits a simple assault as defined in subsection a. (1), (2) or (3) of this section upon any health care worker employed by a licensed health care facility to provide direct patient care, except a direct care worker at a State or county psychiatric hospital or State developmental center or veterans' memorial home, while clearly identifiable as being engaged in the duties of providing direct patient care or practicing the health care profession. Aggravated assault is a crime of the third degree if the victim suffers bodily injury, otherwise it is a crime of the fourth degree.
RN Procedural Sedation Rules
No guidance is offered regarding the administration of moderate or deep sedation by Registered Nurses within the state of New Jersey.
State of New Jersey Board of Nursing