The health care industry leads all other sectors in the incidence of nonfatal workplace assaults, and the emergency department is a particularly vulnerable setting. Workplace violence is a significant occupational hazard facing emergency nurses. Workplace violence is one of ENA’s three practice priorities. This page highlights ENA’s workplace violence initiatives along with additional resources.
ENA Workplace Violence Toolkit
This web-based toolkit takes a practical, step-by-step approach to tackling the issue of workplace violence. The toolkit walks the participants through a logical project plan that produces:
- An environmental assessment of their emergency department
- An assessment of staff perceptions of workplace violence
- A targeted project plan that outlines the intended goals and action items needed to improve issues affecting workplace safety
- Project evaluations and documentation that can be used for ongoing improvement and to help demonstrate a culture of safety in the emergency department
The toolkit houses a library of resources, sample forms, policies, checklists and staff education materials to help emergency department leaders or designated staff easily inititate and conduct an ongoing quality improvement project aimed at violence prevention.
Launch the ENA Workplace Violence Toolkit
Emergency Department Violence Surveillance (EDVS) Study
ENA initiated a workplace violence surveillance study in 2009 to collect data on a quarterly basis via an online survey from emergency nurses on the occurrence of violence toward nurses and the processes used to respond to workplace violence.
- 2011 EDVS Report: This two-year report represents analysis of eight consecutive rounds of data collected approximately three months apart (May 2009 - January 2011).
Study on Violence Against Nurses in U.S. Emergency Departments (Published 2009)
A total of 3,465 emergency nurses who were ENA members participated in a cross-sectional study aimed at investigating emergency nurses' experiences and perceptions of workplace violence, the types of and frequencies of assaults, and the contributing factors to workplace violence.
Additional ENA Resources
Victim Advocacy Resources